We thought we were done posting....A typhoon hit near Shanghai on Saturday therefore canceling incoming and outgoing flights. Shanghai was our layover before heading to the U.S. Once we arrived to Hong Kong we saw our flight was cancelled. We knew this was a good possibility as we knew about the typhoon. Ultimately we were hoping if we had to be stuck somewhere we'd rather be stuck in Hong Kong rather than Shanghai. We had trouble when we were stuck in Shanghai last time because no one spoke english...but God did provide our friends to help navigate. So it really is a praise that we are stuck here and not Shanghai. Once we saw our flights were cancelled we went to the airline to see what our options were. We could get a refund and rebook with another airline or wait in line with the hundreds of others who were trying to get another flight out through our airline. We kept trying to get a hold of our travel agency but didn't for hours since it was in the middle of the night in the U.S. We had a local travel agent who has been helping us while we were in Hong Kong so were calling him for help too. He said stay in line b/c our airline would get us home.....so Doug checked other airline counters to see if we could get a flight out but they were $1600-$2400 a ticket one way!! That was not an option for us. We got in the line around 1:15. We waited and waited. Doug then went across the way to a connected hotel as we realized that we would be staying the night. I also felt sick all day long so I really needed a hotel to lay down in. So we got to the hotel around 6pm. I laid in bed and the kids went back to the airport to get dinner. Doug got back to the hotel after 1am. He finally made it to the front of the line and started working on getting our flights out when the computers crashed! So the airline sent everyone away and said come back at 6am. Doug then went back and was first in line. The airline was able to book us a direct flight with Cathay Pacific on a direct flight to LAX. I have heard that Cathay Pacific is a premium airline so I am thankful to be flying with them. This is the airline that cost $2400.....and now it will cost us nothing extra, praise God! The direct flight is also a blessing too. The unfortunate part is we now can't leave until Monday at 4:30pm. We will arrive to LAX at 2:55pm on Monday then drive straight home.
Please pray for me as I still feel ill and don't have much energy. Out of necessity Hannah has stepped up as the main caretaker of Brooklyn. So Brooklyn has quickly attached to Hannah. In the state of how I feel this is great because I can't really take care of her. But on the flip side it really confuses Brooklyn. She has a hard time adjusting every time we get to a new hotel. She was doing great by our last 2 nights at the hotel in Guangzhou but now has reverted to crying a lot during the night. I know it must be very confusing for her. Hannah left the room and Brooklyn started to cry and wouldn't receive comfort from me. It doesn't bother me, I just know it's a step backward. Please pray Brooklyn would have peace and continue to trust us during this crazy confusing time. I just to acknowledge how awesome my daughter is! She totally stepped up to take care of Brooklyn and the rest of the kids. She never once complained about changing 3 poopy diapers yesterday or staying up rocking Brooklyn to get her to sleep....amongst countless other selfless ways she served me yesterday. She rocks! Aaron was also helpful when running errands between the hotel and airport. I am thankful we had our kids to help.
Lord willing will be home Monday evening. Please continue to lift us up in prayer. He is trustworthy and has our travels in His control. We can praise Him always!