Saturday, December 3, 2011

Great Wall

Our tour guide, Cindy, said today would be much easier than yesterday.  I am not sure exactly why she said that, since today was the day we walked the Great Wall of China.  The weather was perfect for this walk.  The snow from yesterday cleared the skies and we had beautiful sunshine.  The air was cool and crisp.

We started up the jagged uneven steep steps.  The steps were different lengths between each one.  We climbed and climbed.  Finally I got to the top.  I should have been working out on the stair climber for this journey.  I caught up with Doug and the kids.  I was so proud, I made it.   At the top was a guard tower.  Inside you could climb to the very top of the tower.  Doug said lets keep going.  I thought he meant to the top of the tower.  Come to find out, I did not make it to the top.  Behind what I thought was the top were many more stairs.  The kids with endless energy kept going.  I stayed behind with Kendra.  I was content with how far I went.  Everyone else made the trek.
The beginning of the the climb
The top of the climb

We also visited the jade factory today.  We have noticed that our tours are a little bit about how the product was made, but mostly a sales pitch about how wonderful their product is and how we will receive great discounts buying it from the factory.  Today I was looking at possibly buying a jade pendant.  I decided I would wait and see what there was in Guangzhou.  I was talking with a gal from our travel group when the manager came up to me, with the sales lady who had been helping me.  I kinda thought I was in trouble. :0 He said that it is off season and he would give me a discount off of the pendant.  I was shocked, they hunted me down to buy this piece of jewelry.  When you are shopping at the factories the sales people follow you around the store.  Very different than the states.  They know what they are doing, and I bought the pendant.

I will leave you with a few more pictures from the rest our very long day.  The last one is of the acrobatic show.   It was amazing!

Doug couldn't blog today.  He is busy packing for our flight tomorrow.  Hopefully he can make it back on the blog again.  We leave in the morning for Henan province where Jack is.  We will receive him on Monday!!
A yummy fish dish
2008 Olympic Bird's nest
And the 2008 Water Cube
A man with amazing strength and balance

3 comments:

  1. I love baby Jack and I love you for giving Casey and me presents. Love, Grace

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope u guys r having a safe trip love all of u hi Hannah and Aaron and uncle Doug and auntie
    Love Leah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi guys I don't know the time difference between the US and China but I figure you are getting very close to getting your precious Jack. I'm so excited for you. Our prayers are with you. Love, Aunt Carol

    ReplyDelete