Thursday, April 14, 2011

How did we get here?

I thought that maybe I could post about how we decided to adopt.  Some might have been surprised by our decision and others knew we had been praying about adopting.  We have been blessed to be surrounded by so many families that have gone down this road before us for several years now.  Adoption has been a discussion in the past, but not really serious.  We would say things like, "Well maybe in the future we might when our kids are older."  I did joke before Gracie was born that when we adopt our little girl from China we will name her Gracie Marie. 

In October I had started thinking about adoption more seriously; it was just on my heart. I don't remember particularly why, it just was.  Then Doug said that a friend wanted him to read a book, with which Doug responded, "I don't read, I only listen to books."  Doug suspected that he was up to something.  So he listened to Doug and bought him a book called "Adopted for Life" by Russell D. Moore on CD.  Doug was in no rush to listen to it, but I was.  I took those CD's and listened to all 6 within about a weeks time.  Comparatively, Doug spends a lot more time in the car than I do.  His coommute is 40 minutes each way.  He listened to the bible on the way to work and in the afternoon he would listen, if he could, to the book.  He also uses the drive home to make calls.  He slowly went through the book.  In a nutshell the book talks to both aspects of adoption in the Christian's life.  The spirtual adoption we have through Jesus Christ.  "God sent forth his Son, born of a woman, born under the Law, so that He might redeem those who were under the Law, that we might receive the adoption as sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, crying, "Abba Father!" Therefore you are no longer a slave, but a son; and if a son, then an heir through God." Galations 4: 4-7  Russell Moore points us to our spiritual adoption if we have put our faith in Jesus Christ, not only have we been saved from our sins we are also adopted.  Therefore, children of God!  The second aspect is how we should respond to our own adoption practically here on earth.  In James 1:27 it says: "Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world." 

Now that we had listened to the book what were we going to do about it?  Nothing immediately.  We talked about it occassionally, but did not have a clear direction.  We prayed about it sometimes together, but usually seperately.  I knew that if Doug said yes, then that would be the answer to my prayer.  If he said no, it would still be the answer to my prayer, just not the one I wanted. As time passed, and a decision wasn't made, I felt myself not feeling the strong tug of wanting to adopt.  It is funny how as time goes on how the things that seem so important can get watered down in other priorities.   I thought about how nice our family was, 2 girls, 2 boys, everyone is potty trained and we all have a partner for rides at Disneyland!  This is what we have been waiting for!  But was it?  As I reflected on the possibility of not adopting, I realized I am completely and utterly selfish!  The only reasons I could think for not adopting were selfish reasons, for my own comfort.  I am certainly glad that Jesus is perfect and did not take on that attitude when he suffered and died for me!  As Doug and I discussed reasons why we wouldn't adopt, they were all temporal reasons, not eternal.  We were compelled to look into the prospect of adoption a little more.  During this searching out period we had attended an international adoption meeting and also a Fost/Adopt meeting.  We were unclear which route to take.  We met with some friends who have adopted internaionally and are currently involved in the foster care system to get their perspective.  They were positive about both.  We felt that night after talking with them that we should adopt.  As one friend says "Life is short and eternity is long."  The need for adoption is great domestically and internationally.  However, for our family international was the route we would take.  Of course, the decision doesn't end there.  Where would we adopt from?  It didn't take long to decide China would be the best fit for us.  We knew so many people who have gone before us and they would be able to help us along the way.  We also had a heart for the many orphans with special needs that are so often passed over.  We were on the road to adopt!

 We made our decision to adopt on January 29th. The next thing we needed to do was tell the kids. The next day we were leaving to take the kids on a surprise trip to Disneyland.  They were estactic the day we told them we were going home to pack for Disneyland.  On a side note, Grace kept telling us the previous week that she was going to Disneyland in 5 days!  I don't know why she thought it, but she did.  I was a little worried that when we told her we were going that she would get the idea that she got to go to Disneyland everytime she said so.  Anyhoo, we left and had a great time.  Although, I was constantly thinking about the adoption and was divided in my thoughts.  Any of you who know me well enough, know how much we love Disneyland.  So for me to be divided was huge!  I really wanted to tell the kids, but Doug said lets wait.  Well we spent our week at Disneyland and came home.  The next day we were having dinner and that is when we decided to tell the kids.  I told the kids we were going to have another family member.  Our kids were more than estactic.  They were definitely more excited to hear of the adoption than about Disneyland. They were ready to adopt before we were.  Their hearts were ready for a new brother or sister. 

This is too long, let me wrap it up.  We turned in both our applications for our local and international agencies on February 8th.  On March 8th we were matched with Jack.  Our home study is about to be completed and going through revisions so that we can move forward to the next step.  We will submit our application for immigration to our government.  It can take up to 60 days for approval.  This will be the first of many times we will be waiting in the process.  This is what we know about Jack.  He just turned one on April 6th.  He has an ear malformation, which does effect his hearing.  We are not sure to what extent, and won't until we bring him home.  We do know that he does have some hearing because he does respond to his name and other sounds.  We also know he has a loving family longing to be united with him!

1 comment:

  1. Wow Elise--How exciting! What a journey you are on....So blessed--and how lucky are you both?! You all, for the blessing Jack wil be in your family, and Jack...for this amazing family who already loves him so much! I can't wait to hear more about this beautiful road the Lord is walking down with you all....

    ReplyDelete