Saturday, April 30, 2011

New pictures of Jack!

I joined a yahoo group who's members have or will adopt from the same orphanage in China.  I decided a few weeks ago to check it out.  The reason I am interested in the group is to know if anyone will be traveling soon to the orphanage.  If someone is, then it is possible to ask them to visit Jack and take pictures for me.  I found a lady who would be traveling April 21-25 to the orphanage.  I emailed immediately to ask her to take some pictures.  She responded that she would try her best.  I was so excited to get some updated pictures of him.  I told my friend who is part of the same group, because her son is also in the same orphanage.  By the way, it is pretty amazing that a close friend would have her son in the same institute as us because there are hundreds of institutions in China.  It will be cool to be able to tell our boys that they lived in the same place in China and now will grow up together here.  She also emailed the same lady and got confirmation that she would take pictures for her also.  We waited and waited and didn't hear anything.  On Tuesday, the 26th I received a text saying my friend got pictures.  I rushed to the computer and checked to see if I had any.  I had none.  I was disappointed, but very happy for my friend.  I thought maybe the lady forgot or they didn't let her into see the babies.  I didn't know.  I emailed the lady to ask politely if she saw Jack.  I got no response.  I was bummed.  Thursday morning I felt a tap on my back and I thought "Oh Grace why are you up so early."  Then there was a iPhone in my face with a picture of my beautiful boy!  The contact didn't forget and we got 10 new photos of him!! (see our 2 favorites, both above and at left)  It was such a blessing to awake to new pics!  I opened my eyes and squinted trying to focus my sleepy eyes on little Jack.  Not only did I receive pictures, but a little bit of information on his development.  All of the pictures are of Jack and his main nanny Li.  Li said that he is very healthy and has 8 teeth.  He is crawling, can pull himself to stand (on a low bar they have for that purpose) and can walk around holding onto the bar.  He is very clever and he LOVES his bottles.  This might explain those cheeks!  She also reported to me about his hearing because Jack has a malformed right ear.  She said his hearing seems fine; she called his name a few times when he wasn't looking at her and he would turn around right away to her voice.  She said overall he looked healthy and gorgeous.  She also went on to tell me how although the orphanage is very poor, they appear to give the children much love and affection.  I was greatly appreciative of the time she spent with Jack and finding out information for us.  She was so kind to ask questions for us.  I never told her about Jack's ear.  She noticed herself and took the initiative to check his hearing out for me. 

I was bothered about one thing after receiving the update.  It was me and my lack of contentment and joy.  A friend once said she wanted her joy not to be dependent on her circumstances.  That statement was running through my mind after praising the Lord for the update.  I was grumpy, sad and not joyful when I didn't get the pictures a few days earlier.  I let a little disappointment in my life take my focus off of Jesus.  This adoption journey will be just that, a journey.  We will wait and wait and wait.  The only way to go through this journey joyfully, because I will be disappointed, is to focus on Him.  I thank God for making me wait to get the updates on Jack.  If I had not of waited I wouldn't be able to be aware of my discontent.  Isn't the Lord kind?  Even when I was being selfish he still chose to bless me by gently showing me my sin and providing an update on Jack.

1 comment:

  1. I love the new pictures. We are incredibly blessed that our boys will grow up together.

    ReplyDelete